Saturday 15 May 2010

The Machine Stops

The Machine Stops is a science fiction short story written by E. M. Forster in 1909. In the story, human beings can not live on the surface of the earth, which is only dust, so they have created an underground world in order to survive. The two characters of the story are a mother and her son, Vashti and Kuno, who live in opposite sides of the world and have very opposed lifestyles and way of thinking.
In the story appear technological devices such as, a round plate that projects images and sounds of people (screen), switches and knobs that open, close, turn on and off, for instance, such devices. Also, there are buttons and switches everywhere, buttons to call for food, music or clothing, as well as to have a conversation with many people, at the same time and from different places (internet). Surprisingly, by the time the story was written, none of these mechanisms even existed. Therefore, this is one of the main characteristics of the story that have impressed me the most. So, if you are keen on science fiction stories, I totally recommend this particular one.

Isabella

4 comments:

  1. Hello Isabella, I read this story some years ago and I agree with you when you explain about all the technological devices that appears in the story taking into account the time when the story was written. Another important issue, for me, is ENVIORNMENT, but I don’t want to spoil it too much for those who haven’t read it yet.
    Milkyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Milkyway, I totally agree with you! I didn't want to say much about the story because for me it's quite annoying to know almost everything about something before reading it. I think that the state of anxiety of not knowing what is going to happen next in a story is one of the most great feelings one can experience when reading.

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isabella, I agree with you when you describe all the technological devices that are included in the short story, but for me, behind all that, is hidden the lack of communication between a mother and a son. Although they are communicated by the plate, they lack the affection, the truly love they need to show to each other.
    It is a good short story to deal with nowadays that everything seems to turn around technology!!!!QueenV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the story too. You're right, very visionary.
    If like science fiction stories, I strongly recommend Isaac Asimov.

    Slavonic

    ReplyDelete