Monday 2 August 2010

Why most of the women don´t like football?

During these days that the World Cup is taking place I could realize that football is still exclusively a passion of men. I mean, there is a division between the sexes when it comes to football, which is also an excuse to get together with the guys and drink until the final minute of the match. I consider that football is a sport that is so tough and hard-hitting, and girls are treated differently about pressures and bruises. In addition to this, women are more romantic to play such a strong game and to run 90 minutes and struggle to have a goal. Besides, socially it has not been acceptable for women to like football and much less to play it. Girls play with dolls and boys play football. In addition to this, a girl´s bedroom is flowers and dolls , and a boy´s room is trucks and balls. Also, men ensure that women will never play football because they are too scared of breaking a nail or something. To sum up, even though there has been a change and equal opportunities in society, men still see football as a source of masculine identity.

Candy

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Candy
    When I read your writing, I remembered a poem that I read some time ago. Its name is "Boys will be boys" by Leon Rosselson. If you have time, you can have a look of the website www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Boys_Will_Be_Boys.htm It´s very similiar to your article.

    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Candy in the fact that men usually see football as an issue of men. I like football and I enjoy going to the football stadium when it is possible.The fact is that when us, women, make comments on the match and how we think the team played, our opinions are disregarded.I watch football matches on TV also, and I think that my opinion as woman is as valid as theirs.
    Izzie

    ReplyDelete