Monday 2 August 2010

Fables and Myths

I personally find fables and myths very useful, and I consider them also as great methods of giving instructions or advice. Fables and Myths consist in short pieces of narrative whose messages are not explicit but can be read between lines. However, there are cases in which they include a moral, that is, a very brief explanation of their messages. These explanations are usually at the end of the stories.

Generally, a fable is a brief story in prose or verse, whose characters are animals, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature which are given human qualities. Through these human qualities given to non-human beings, fables intend to illustrate human situations and to provide moral lessons.

On the other hand, myths are short narrative pieces with religious meaning to those who create them, searching for explanations to things that they couldn’t understand otherwise. In fact, myths are stories concerning the origins of the world. The active beings in myths are generally gods and heroes.

I consider those kinds of stories very useful for children, since both contain something outstanding. For instance, fables use animals or objects as their main characters, yet the message is designed to be understood and applied by humans.

Milky Way

1 comment:

  1. Myths are very interesting. When I was a boy, my mum read me a book about greek mythology, so I imagine how I like this topic.
    Evan

    ReplyDelete