Thursday 21 April 2011

Hans in Luck

Hans in Luck is an interesting story published by the brothers Grimm in the nineteenth Century.  This tale is about a man named Hans, who after having served his master for seven years, decided to ask for his wages and return home to see his mother. As a result, the master gave him a big piece of silver and let him go. On his way home, he alternately came across five men that, to his mind were luckier than he was. The first one was riding a horse, which Hans liked so much that he traded it for the silver stone. The second guy that appeared had a cow so Hans changed it for the horse. Then, a third man with a pig showed up and they exchanged their belongings. After that, the same thing happened twice more with a goose and a common stone which Hans got from a grinder.
The story has many different versions, but the message is the same: no matter what life gives people they always want everything the others have. In our modern world, these kind of things happen as usual as in the old times.

Victoria

3 comments:

  1. On reading this review I really felt interested in ​​reading the story because of two reasons: firstly, because when I was a little child I read many stories of the Brothers Grimm but unluckily I did not read this one.And the second because I really enjoy reading narratives with morals.
    Melman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this short story in Language and Culture I,and I consider it really amusing.The protagonist may be seen as a stupid person,and perhaps he is if we analyse the story from a materialistic point of view.
    At the end of the story,despite the fact that he loses everything,he feels happy because he's going to be with his mother again.So if we analyse it from a different point of view,the message can be that what leads us to happiness is not material things but love.
    By kite

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´ve read lots of short stories writen by Brothers Grimm since I was a child. All these fairy tales, that I´ve read, produce on me a feeling of sadness, unhappiness and pitty, because all the carachters suffered a lot.
    So, I don´t think that these tales are proper for children.
    Graffity Woman

    ReplyDelete