Friday 3 June 2011

The Awful Fate of Melpomenus Jones"

I enjoyed a lot when I read "The Awful Fate of Melpomenus Jones" a funny short story, written by Stephen Leacock. The story is about some people who find great difficulty in saying good-bye when they make a call.And this is the case of Melpomenus Jones,a clergy-man of twenty-three years old.The story tells us the curious experience that this young man suffered,when he was visiting some friends of his.This poor fellow was staying with his friends for hours,days,and week sitting in a sofa,drinking tea,looking at photos,and chattering with the members of that family,without finding the right time to say good-bye to them and went away.Until finally,that moment came to; but not in the way that everyone  imagines.... It is a lovely story thet anyone can enjoy a lot.The writer makes a clear balance between the funny of the situation,and the irony among the characters.It is an amusing story;  I recommend it to someone who wants to enjoy a great time reading.

Ambar

2 comments:

  1. I think the story is really funny because it reminds me of my husband.My husband has problems in saying good bye,too. I want to read it.The way you told the story was great and I want to read it to see what happends in the end. Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this story many year ago and today I keep on thinking poor fellow, why couldn't he just say leave the place? Awful, really awful!!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete