Sunday 6 June 2010

Wavin´ Flag by K´naan

Wavin´ flag is the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. It is sung by K´naan, a Somali musician who lived in Africa, where he met starvation and war, and then he moved to the United States of America, to finally settle down in Canada, where he lives at present.
There are two versions of the song, the original one, Wavin´ Flag, and a recast version, a pre-chorus, Wavin´ Flag: the Celebration Mix, that seems to set the uplifting and unified tone of the World Cup. This version talks about the champions, and the proud they make people feel, as well as unity and celebration of every nation. The original version, on the other hand, is a strong critique to the sufferings that South Africa went through for many years. The song claims freedom; it seems that people want to be free from someone else, but in fact they want to be free from hunger, from wars, darkness, poor people on the streets and the so many bad treatments they suffer as a nation.
For me, the song is a mixture of confusing elements, because it has a rhythm that makes you sing it, but when you read its lyrics and between the lines you find the hidden and the real message that nation wants other nations to know.
Read the lyrics and listen to the songs by clicking HERE.

QueenV

2 comments:

  1. I love this song, because its lyrics depicts the sad situation South African people faced in the past. I agree with Queen V.
    ( I attended this subject last year and I feel I learnt quite a lot with you Anahi!!) Regards, Angels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this song. It tells you a lot of South African history. Once I heard it I realized the horrible situation that people from South African passed through the 20th century. I can tell this because last year I learnt a lot in Language and Culture II about the Appartheid. I couldn't believe how humankind were so cruel with coloured people. Only God knows how it was possible!!!! God saves that people's souls!!!
    Poly (June)

    ReplyDelete