Saturday 24 April 2010

The Open Window

Some time ago I read this short story to give a speech about it in one of my first English classes at the Institute. When I read the story, I could not understand the message of it in the first place. I remember that I was reading and looking up all the words in my dictionary, but I missed up the theme at the end. In a sort of "recipe" that I've made for myself, I study some words by heart trying to incorporate more vocabulary. But when I was about to sit for my last final exam, I decided to choose the same short story to explain, and something wonderful happened.

When I read it again I found out that I could understand its theme very well, because I had the tools that the Institute had given me during all this years. I could analyze the story from the point of view of the narrator, taking into account the setting, plot, characters, etc. I could discuss with my partner about some aspects of the story, such as whether the narrator was omniscient (in which case he would have known the thoughts and feelings of all characters in the story) or limited third person (in which case he would have revealed the thoughts and feelings of only one character).

At the end of the final exam I felt very comfortable and confident about my speech

Milkyway

No comments:

Post a Comment