Saturday 24 April 2010

How to read a short story.

On February I sat for a final exam. I prepared a speech about the things I need in order to be able to write a short story. First of all, I defined what a story is. A Story is a brief work of fiction that has a simpler plot and setting than a novel and reveals character through crucial incidents.

When writing a short story, we need to bear in mind certain characteristics: a plot that refers to a series of related events, a conflict that focuses on a struggle, a setting that takes into account when and where the story takes place, the theme that is the central message of the story and the narrator's point of view, which can be first person narrator or third person narrator. In the first person narrator, the author uses the pronoun “I” and shows his or her thoughts and feelings. A first person narrator doesn’t know the thoughts of the other characters. On the other hand, in the third person narrator the author is not a character of the story, and then the narrator's voice refers to the characters as “He”, “She” or “They”. Also, he may know some thoughts and feelings of some characters.

Nowadays, when I read a short story, I've started to take into account these characteristics. I advise you to do the same, since it is important to understand not only the message of the short story but also its meaning.

Milkyway

2 comments:

  1. There are people that read just for pleasure and they don´t stop to think and analyse all these characteristics.In my opinion, they can be very useful for students, since every time they have to read something, teachers ask them to analyse and to explain the texts.In this case, students need to know the characteristics you mentioned before.

    QueenV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think reading a short story is such an excellent time when you can be relaxed and read something short in no more than 15 minutes. In my case, I really enjoy reading them.But, as you mentioned before, sutudents have to take into account the main characteristics in order to improve not only the message that a short story has but also how it is written.

    ReplyDelete