Monday 26 October 2009

A Frightening Experience

In 1996 I visited San Andres island in Colombia. My family and I were staying in a hotel just opposite the beach. We were having a wonderful time there when a lovely breeze became a strong and fast wind. Since it had been announced through loudspeakers that a hurricane was approaching, everybody started rushing around sealing the hotel windows and placing sand bags on the ground in order to prevent water from the sea coming into the hotel. Suddenly, as the wind began blowing even harder, guests were told to go and stay in their rooms under their beds. We were also warned against walking around the hotel garden because a coconut may fall on our heads, causing a severe injury. Despite being scared to death, I was brave enough so as to open our room door and record part of the disaster with my video camera. It was hard to believe believe how huge waves had become. We stayed all that awful day long in our room waiting for the violent hurricane to go away. On the following day, luckily safe and sound, we could witness the trail of devastation it had left and know that the eye of it had been in Nicaragua.


SPARKLING

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing anecdote! I wouldn´t be on your feet on that moment! Really I wouldn´t know what to do if I were you, but I know what I wouldn´t do...record the situation. I think that I would be so scared that I only would think on saving myself and my family. You were too brave, I agree with you! my congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´d like to see the photos,or the recording,there are some experiences that must be shown in order to be fully aware of the danger.Nature teachs us things everyday,and the sudden changes in the earth´s climate are the perfect example of this matter.
    sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is an incredible anecdote. I`m afraid of these kind of phenomenons. If I were in that situation i would die because of panic. I don`t like rainy or windy days,because I think in some cases they are really dangerous and I don`t feel safe.
    You were too brave to record that.
    Anush

    ReplyDelete