Saturday 5 September 2009

The "Tomatina"

Yesterday I saw an advertisement about the world greatest tomato fight. Do you know what it is?. Well, it is called the "Tomatina". This celebration is not a religious one or even with a political significance. The first "Tomatina" took place in the mid 1940s. There, the participants must throw tomatoes each other. They have to pay for the 40,000 kilos of tomatoes used during the fight. Nowadays, this festival is an international affair and people from all over the world come to Buñol every year to enjoy the fun. Isn´t it fantastic?

Miss Squirrel

2 comments:

  1. I read another article about this kind of celebration but it took place in China!!! It was based on the festival you wrote about, but in order to celebrate an aniversary of a shopping center. This event attracted almost 1,000 people who engaged in a pitched fight using close to 25 tons of tomatoes. Did not they think about making a big salad and share with us? jajajjaja

    Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laugh when I read Pedro`s comment! maybe they could have done a big salad!and be in the record`s guiness book!! I watched on tv a celebration in which people throw cakes!Maybe is funny but on the other hand ,I think of many children who are dying because of hunger, so I don`t agree or I don`t like this kind of celebrations throwing food while in some places people don`t have nothing to eat.
    Anush

    ReplyDelete