Saturday 12 September 2009

Graffiti is art or an act of vandalism ……!!

Graffiti was the first sign that gangs were taking over a neighbourhood. They used it to comunicate with their rival gangs. So, they wrote messages or draw things on the walls.I think that you will agree with me that graffiti is an act of vandalism, because this people destroy our public and private property. This affects our society and the image of our country. For me, graffiti as an act of vandalism because it is illegal and offensive, it has transformed the image of the city into a place of intolerance. For that reason, the police should defend public property. On the other hand, some people think that graffiti is more colourful, humorous and vibrant piece of art than vandalism.I think that public goods belong to every member of the community. So, as good citizens we must preserve and protect our common property. What do you think?

Lilo

4 comments:

  1. I don´t think graffiti is art at all so I`m with you there, Lilo. In my opinion, graffiti is synonymous with vandalism since nobody has the right to deliberately spoil the appearance of walls. I think the government should do something to stop this crime. In Vancouver, for example, you can see a phone number in many public places, even on buses. So if a person sees vandals defacing walls with graffitis, he/she instantly dials that phone number and denounces them to the police. As a consequence, these criminals will have to pay big fines and the denouncer will receive 200 dollars for having reported the act. So what about imposing heavy fines in our country?

    SPARKLING

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m sorry, I`m not agree with you Lilo and Sparkling!
    I think you are not taking into account that Graffitis are a means to communicate something! From my viewpoint, they represent people`s needs to express something. It is true that there are not present everywhere... and that they are very common in Argentina -especially in the biggest cities. So, perhaps we should ask ourselves about the problems our society has and the teens`insatisfactions.
    I know they are not always so beautiful pieces of art and that it is not fair! But, let`s think about the reasons if we really want to come up with a solution.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly agree with Lorna in the fact that graffitis are a way of communicating different feelings. Moreover, I think that graffitis talk about our society here in Argentina, since we can read varied topics in them. i also agree in that some graffitis show that our teens feels empty, depress without a clear referent.
    angels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lilo:
    From my point of view, art is art and it doesn´t depend on where or what people do. I guess that sometimes people don´t respect anything so what people are going to respect taking into account the place where they can paint or draw, they only want to express themselves without any little respect. Don´t you think that?
    Miss Squirrel

    ReplyDelete